Poisonous sea creatures
Health. Poisonous sea creatures
Rest on the sea, and especially on the ocean side is always very attractive. And doubly in uncharted territory. But the water element can become a trap for man. People are afraid of sharks, but don’t know anything about poisonous aquatics – sea creatures, touching which can cause toxic shock or paralysis.
In a light it will burn, after which there can remain a scar. Victims of poisonous aquatics can become naive nature-lovers, who, wearing a mask and flippers, jump into the depths of the sea or ocean without a wetsuit. Very helpful first learn about what sea creatures live there. In tropical seas often on the whole water area covers a quarantine regime because of the approach to the shore dangerous for a man of aquatics or aquatic organisms. Better to meet these requirements.
Poisonous sea creatures
1. Jellyfish and siphonophora physalia
Jellyfish are marine invertebrates that live in all the seas and oceans. There are more than 2,000 species of jellyfish, of which approximately 70 are dangerous to humans, a collision with them causes severe burns and may even cause a lethal outcome. The severity of the burns of jellyfish varies and depends on individual to individual. It may just be a burning sensation or pain that last from a few minutes to several hours. But someone may develop anaphylactic shock due to the intolerance of the toxin of jellyfish. The most dangerous type of jellyfish is the box jellyfish. It has a distinctive cube-shaped body. Burn this jellyfish causes severe intoxication and dermatitis, and possible death. The most dangerous of the jellyfish, Sahika barnesu and Carybdea alata, have another name – the sea wasp. It is a small jellyfish that live at great depths, but their powerful tentacles they are even capable of penetrating a wetsuit.
Extremely dangerous to humans is another representative of the marine invertebrates of siphonophora physalia, otherwise known as the Portuguese boat. Small, up to 10 cm, the ball floats on the water surface and at first glance does not cause any suspicion. If you didn’t know from the body of Vitaliy depart is long, up to 10 m, stinging filament, the approach to it can cost lives. Its delicate tentacles are studded with millions of poisonous receptors. When you touch them the skin is pierced microscopic poisonous needles, causing severe burns, and in some cases toxic shock and paralysis. If the poison is small, it would cost toxic inflammation. First, the wound is red, then formed a large bubble that goes in a few days. Sometimes the scars that remain on the skin, it is difficult to remove by cosmetic surgery. Toxicity can be expressed in different degrees and different symptoms: headache, and pain in the joints, lymph nodes, muscle aches, fever, nausea and vomiting, in rare cases, shock and collapse.
The victim should immediately be taken out of the water and laid on a horizontal surface. In severe burns will require medical attention. Usually the person regains consciousness after a few minutes, but sometimes recovery may be delayed for several weeks. Burns of jellyfish must first for 30 seconds to clean the wound with 3-10% vinegar. Vinegar deactivates the toxin, but does not reduce pain. If there is no vinegar, use sea water. Fresh water, alcohol, alcohol, soda solution, lemon juice, urine is not recommended, because it can only enhance the effect of the poison. Vinegar should not be used when burn siphonophore. In this case, you need to clean the wound stinging threads, to do this right the sand of the sea to clean off their skin. The longer they are on the skin, the greater the reaction. After removing large pieces of the jellyfish can use shaving cream and a safety razor to remove the remaining toxic receptors. To reduce the itching and pain you need to put ice on the burn. Then take analgesics and antihistamines.
2. Sea urchins (Echinoidea)
Brittle spinal needle most sea urchins are not poisonous, but can easily penetrate the skin. If you do not remove the needle completely, this place will start festering. Toxic is the only urchin-Diadema Diadema setosum, which lives along the coastline. He’s black and has a lot of long spinal needles. People often step on them and hurt his leg. Acute pain lasts for a while, and the wound swells.
You have to put the wound in warm, not boiling water, to neutralize the poison. To ease the burning sensation, use any pain medication and even lotion against sunburn. If you are not able to remove all the needles pierced, ask for help in the infirmary.
3. Poisonous plankton
In tropical seas there are unusual and amazing beauty of the phenomenon which is called red, or brown, or even blue tide. Sea off the coast suddenly changes color to brown or even bright red. This is because had washed ashore a large colony of so-called brown algae. There are thousands of species of marine algae, phytoplankton, of which about 80-90 species toxic. The British romantic plankton called this “the devil’s message from beyond”. Toxic plankton causes severe burns on the skin, and when ingested inside irritation of the upper respiratory tract or even burns of internal organs. Such inevitable cases, if to neglect the warning that swimming is prohibited in connection with, for example, a temporary quarantine on the waters of the red tide. As a rule, the locals never go into the water, seeing red spots. Victims of poisonous plankton become mostly carefree vacationers, which sea knee-deep. The area of colored flashes wide. It is believed that the Red sea the ancient Greeks called so because of brown algae. Quite often the brown algae cover large offshore zones off the coast of China, USA, Australia. Recently the Atlantic coast of the US were discovered in algae, the dinoflagellates, Pfiesteria piscicida, which has no pigment, respectively, without altering the color of the water, but no less pathogenic than algae red tide. In places where the dinoflagellates observed fish kills.