In ancient times, 65 million years ago (the end of the age of dinosaurs), on the border between the Cretaceous and Paleogene periods, lapped the ancient Tethys ocean . which, in geologically near future had to disappear and leave behind the Mediterranean . The black and Caspian seas and the Persian Gulf. The first two are further connected by the Atlantic ocean, the latest from the Indian.
Page sections about geologic processes in the Atlantic ocean and the seas of the Atlantic .
Sea Atlantic area
Archipelagos and underwater ridges of the Atlantic
The formation of the Strait of Gibraltar and the Mediterranean sea (5 million years BP)
The Strait of Gibraltar that separates Morocco from Spain, is only 15 km width. Perhaps the flooding of the plains by the ocean between Africa and Europe and is reflected in the ancient Greek myth of Debelyanovo the flood that supposedly happened in “ancient Greece”*, namely in the district of Dodon and of the river of Aheloy [I think it was near the Caucasus, and then we can talk about the Black sea]. There is another myth, that the rocks of Gibraltar and Ceuta opened Hercules.
The breakthrough of the Ocean through the Gibraltar – perhaps the work of man.
Kondratov A. Atlantis Tethys sea. Exposure.
Leonardo da Vinci on the levels and currents of the seas. Continue reading
12. What is the jellyfish, common in the Black and Azov seas, burning like nettles? ( Kornerot, or Hrizostom .)
13. What Medusa has much more victims than any shark? ( Sea wasp – Hironex from the squad Fleckeri Jellyfish. Occurs in the Great Barrier reef of Australia. Bell diameter up to 4,5 cm Usually “stung” her people are killed in a few minutes. The sea wasp venom affects the nervous system, leads to paralysis of the heart.
15. In some cases, predatory polychaetes dangerous to humans? ( Chitinous hook, with a serrated inner edge of the jaws of carnivorous polychaetes associated with venomous glands. Polychaetes may also have parapodia with poisonous bristles. Suffer from them most often fishermen, brought out the trawl catch. At a strong poisoning there is a sharp pain and swelling in the arms, appear headache, nausea.
16. In any case, some edible bivalves can be poisonous? ( If their tissues are developing certain bacteria or accumulate toxic substances.
17. What mollusk is called the “blue death”? ( Small (20 cm, 100 g) Hapalochaena octopus maculosa, which lives in the coastal areas of the tropical zone of the Pacific and Indian oceans. In the excited state it is covered with bright blue spots. Salivary glands of octopus have venom neurotoxins acting simultaneously on the nervous and muscular system. The bite of this clam privided paralysis of the respiratory muscles . Continue reading
Fish of the Black sea – a total of 193 species. About all we will not speak. But some of the fish species of the Black sea is worth mentioning.
The mullet is a genus of fish of the family of mullets, numbering two kinds. This valuable little food fish reaches a length of 40 cm red mullet are Distinguished by the presence of long “whiskers” on the lower jaw, which muddies the sand on the sea bottom and catching small animals. Live in the Mediterranean and adjacent seas. Fishing for red mullet .
Goatfish or red mullet
Kalkan, the largest black sea flatfish, reaches a length of over 70 cm and a weight of 12-16 kg. more Dark spin Kalkan (formerly the left side) covered with numerous bony tubercles. Hard skin fish owes its name to the Turkish word “Kalkan” means a shield with additional protection, umbono. Kalkan inhabits sandy and Shelly soils of the seabed. Winter and summer it is the depth, in spring and autumn makes a small migration and moves to shallow water. It spawns from April to July. Feeds on demersal fish and crabs. The body flounders glosses covered with scales. Eyes, unlike Kalkan, moved to the right side. Length of Glossa is not more than 30 cm. Continue reading